Wednesday Wisdom: TV’s 6 Key Messages to Girls
“For girls, TV isn’t just entertainment. Every time your daughter watches TV they will absorb thousands of bewildering, distorted, artificial and just plain wrong messages about the world.”
Yesterday I came across an article which really got my attention. The article shocked me as, even though I already knew the pressures our daughters are under, I didn’t expect it to be this bad. The article was called; ‘How big business is stealing our little girls’ childhoods’ and it stated…..take a deep breath before you read this…
“Researchers have found that TV’s six key messages to girls are”:
1. Your looks are the most important thing about you.
2. Your physical characteristics (shape, weight, skin, hair, teeth, colour, smell) are NEVER, EVER good enough.
3. Sex is primarily a currency that you exchange, for love and attention or for power.
4. It’s normal to have sex with people you don’t even know, or especially like…
5. The world is a scary, lonely, dangerous and competitive place. Better get going – you might lose the race.
6. The answer to all life’s problems is to buy something.”
After reading this article it made me realize even more how WE, as mothers must keep talking to our girls/daughters. Our aim is to be a bigger influence on our daughters than TV and ALL media. We must stay close and guide our daughters along the way, spend time with them, talk to them and confirm for them what is real and what is fake. It’s our job to build their self esteem and self respect to help them make the right choices in their lives.
But here is the biggy……
In order to be the role model our daughters need we have to be sending out the right messages too. It is not what we say they will believe, it is what we do.
What do you think? Are you worried about the messages TV and media is giving our daughters? How do you protect your daughter from this?
You are able to find the full article here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk
Happy Wednesday everyone!